Thursday, October 6, 2011

Music: Hall of Fame

So, in light of the recent Rock n Roll hall of fame nominees I thinkt hat it's appropriate to write this. I am a fan of music. All different types, and I'm not one to generally poo poo something without giving it a listen. With that said there is some music that I can't stand and I wish was never born. I also love a lot of weird shit, and I'm generally pretty passionate/snobby about what I do love. Not hipster, tightpants, it's not good if it's on the radio snobby, but still. This "hall of fame" has a lot of bullshit going for it. For example, Leon Russell. Who cares about Leon Russell? Name a good Leon Russell song that he actually sings...exactly. Oh and then theres ABBA. I mean seriously. So I am going to start my own Hall of Fame. Anyone can do it. I don't really have a name for it so it's tentatively Berz's Music Hall of Fame. That doesn't really sound classy though, but whatever. I am going to induct the following musicians: Iron Maiden and Dinosaur Jr. Let's start with 2 bands. I need to figure out how to get plaques or trophies or somethign made up for them. Chances are they will never hear about this, but it's cool. These 2 bands have influenced a ton of other musicians and also (perhaps more importantly) me. I grew up listening to heavy metal. I have an older brother,so whatever he listened to I listened to. Maiden changed the way I looked at music and they still do. The have excellent musicianship, the best metal scream in the business, a cool mascot( he's a half-dead zombie monster killing machine for f's sake), and most importantly, they write really long heavy cool songs about myths and old Romantic poems and historical facts. They make Coleridge a bad ass which I couldn't imagine would be an easy feat. Dinosaur Jr. helped reinvent music. In a time when bands were worried about aqua net they were making some of the loudest, oddest, and most aggressive music around. J Mascis has a mediocre voice at best and his guitar is really a bunch of noise. But he pulls it off and when those 2 elements come together his little warble and the tearing guitar of his are magical. Transportative if I may be so bold as to make shit up. You ad Lou's sly, poppy bass, and Murph's well timed and often subtly brilliant drumming and you will not have a bad time listening to this. Plus, they arguably helped pave the way for the 20+ years of rock/alternative music that came after them. And the craziest thing about it is that these bands are still playing and touring and releasing new, good music.
So Iron Maiden & Dinosaur Jr. for what it's worth you're the first inductees in my hall of fame & I salute you.

Good Songs
Iron Maiden: Hallowed Be Thy Name (the Live After Death Version), Losfer Words, Back in the Village, Revelations, The Clairvoyant, The Trooper (of course), and anything else that Steve Harris goes completely bonkers on.

Dinosaur Jr.: In A Jar (Lou rips your face off on this one), The Lung (J = face ripping), Let It Ride, The Post, Keep The Glove, We're Not Alone (the solo makes me tear up), Over It, Drawerings, The Wagon, Puke+Cry

No comments:

Post a Comment